Anhydrous Ammonia Application Technology - 2011
Dedication Year: 2011
Locations: Mississippi State University,
Mississippi State, MS and Delta Research & Extension Center,
Plaque Wording: In 1932, J. O. Smith,
Agricultural Engineer at Delta Branch Experiment Station in
Stoneville, MS, attached a small anhydrous ammonia cylinder to a
plow in such a manner that the NH3 was released in the soil.
The plow, a Georgia Stock, was pulled by a gray mule named
Ike. This was the first known use of anhydrous ammonia as a
soil-applied crop fertilizer. The crude apparatus and the
anhydrous ammonia it applied provided a much needed source of
nitrogen for the otherwise rich alluvial soils of the Mississippi
Delta. Agricultural engineer Felix Edwards and agronomist W.
B. Andrews renewed application research in 1943, leading to the
development of the anhydrous ammonia fertilizer industry.
Their work established safe application techniques and
equipment. It has resulted, through economical fertilization,
in improved yield and quality of food and fiber crops throughout
the world. Anhydrous ammonia remains a leading source of
nitrogen for crops in the United States.